Terria considering Telstra tie-up for national broadband network

21 Aug 2008

The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that broadband consortium Terria will offer its rival Telstra ‘substantial’ equity in the National Broadband Network (NBN) if it wins the federal government’s tender process. The Terria consortium is made up of eight telcos, including Optus and AAPT, and Terria chairman Michael Egan said, ‘I think if Telstra came on board they would be assured that the network company was being operated for everyone’s benefit’. The closing date for proposals for the NBN is 12 September, and Terria has confirmed that it has now lodged its submission for the project. According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms database, approximately 98% of Australia is expected to be covered by the fibre-based NBN, with the Australian government considering independent proposals for coverage of the remaining 2% of the country.

Australia, AAPT, Optus, Telstra (incl. Belong)