Electroteks wants to enter wireless broadband market

21 Apr 2008

Sri Lankan communications provider Electroteks aims to launch CDMA-based wireless broadband internet and voice services next month, aiming to provide data speeds of up to 1Mbps, reports Lanka Business Online, quoting the firm’s CEO B.A.C. Abeywardene. Electroteks, which serves mostly corporate customers and offers international calling cards, owns a fibre-optic network covering the Greater Colombo area, and in its first phase of broadband services rollout it plans to cover Colombo before expanding to a coastal area from Puttalam to Hambantota, according to Abeywardene, who claimed that a wireless service could be launched with higher download speeds than currently available ADSL services, and voice telephony tariffs at half the existing rates. ‘We are still working out the pricing. The main factor is the international bandwidth cost,’ said the CEO, adding that the company already has satellite capacity, but plans to use cheaper submarine cable connectivity via the FLAG network operated by Indian telecoms group Reliance Communications (RCOM). Earlier this month CommsUpdate reported that RCOM had established a joint venture with Electroteks with the aim of rolling out GSM mobile and integrated next-generation networks in Sri Lanka. RCOM owns 74% in Reliance Mobile Lanka, with the remaining 26% held by Electroteks, and the start-up has reportedly already been allocated GSM spectrum by the Sri Lankan authorities.

Sri Lanka, Reliance Communications (RCOM)