Ministry paves the way for third cellco

11 Dec 2007

Kuwait’s Ministry of Communications (MoC) has revamped some of the legislation governing the country’s mobile market to ease the entrance of the sector’s third operator next year. Minister of Communications Abdullah Saud Al-Muhailbi told Kuwait News Agency that the new rules cover aspects such as roaming, billing, directory services and illegal phone tapping. Kuwait’s third mobile licence is held by a company which is 26%-owned by STC of Saudi Arabia; the state holds the remaining 74% but is committed to selling off a 50% stake in an initial public offer early next year.