True to revamp WE PCT service

18 Jul 2007

True Corp subsidiary Asia Wireless Communication (AWC) is offering its personal communications telephone (PCT) subscribers a rock-bottom THB400 (USD13) per month rate for unlimited calls to all telephone networks, as the first stage of a plan to revamp the struggling service, reports the Bangkok Post. The company, which uses the brand name WE PCT, has been in operation since 1999 and provides users in the Bangkok area with limited mobility voice services using a fixed line number. However, the number of WE PCT subscribers fell sharply from 440,000 in early 2006 to 290,000 currently, with average revenue per user down to THB200 per month thanks to price wars in the mobile market. AWC has accumulated losses of between THB300 million and THB400 million. It is now reportedly preparing to bundle its PCT service with the GSM service of True’s cellular arm True Move, and plans to introduce a dual-mode PCT/GSM handset. The company also plans to renovate its PCT network infrastructure to provide Wi-Fi and WiMAX services in metropolitan areas once the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) issues necessary licences. A company spokesman said: ’We expect to maintain our subscriber base at 300,000 with average revenue per user of THB250 this year…The company should reach the break-even point in 2008…We are positioning our PCT as a cost-saving service targeting niche customer segments that already have mobile phones.’ Teenagers account for 60% of WE PCT’s total subscriber base, while the remaining 40% are mostly small and medium-sized enterprises.

Thailand, True Corp, True Move