Thales Alenia to deploy Indosat’s Palapa-D orbiter

9 Jul 2007

Indonesian communications company Indosat has selected Thales Alenia Space to build and launch its broadband internet satellite Palapa-D. According to local press reports the satellite will be launched in 2009 and will be the first ‘D’ series satellite to be launched by the telco. The USD200 million orbiter will be equipped with 40 transponders (compared with 36 on the C2 series), around 40% of which will be used by Indosat, with the remaining 60% capacity leased to other firms. Palapa-D will occupy the same orbital slot as Palapa-C2, the orbit of which is expected to decay in 2011. The new D series satellite will enable Indosat to offer services to TV broadcasters, VSAT providers and other corporate customers, as well as supporting its own cellular, fixed voice and data and broadband internet services on the Ku-band.

Indonesia, Indosat Ooredoo Hutchison (IOH)