Vimpelcom bids for Moldovan GSM licence

22 Dec 2006

Russia’s second largest cellco Vimpelcom, which had close to 47 million subscribers at the end of September 2006, has put in a bid for the third GSM licence in Moldova. The cost of the licence had been set at USD8 million, and two Moldovan companies, Union-Prim and Eventis Mobile, have also submitted bids. Moldova had just over a million mobile subscribers at the end of Q3 2006, of which Voxtel had 65% and Moldcell the other 35%.