Cellco looks to muscle in on fixed line market

18 Oct 2006

Polska Telefonia Cyfrowa (PTC), the Polish cellco currently at the centre of a vicious ownership battle between Deutsche Telekom and Vivendi, has announced plans to move into the fixed line market. According to company spokesperson Pawel Szarkowski, PTC aims to have several thousand subscribers to the service by the end of the year.

According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms database, at the end of 2005 there were 11.8 million subscriber lines in service in Poland, of which 89.9% were owned by the former monopoly operator TP SA. Industry regulator UKE claims that the remaining 10.1% of lines are shared between 68 alternative operators, the largest of which is Telefonia Dialog with a 3.2% share. The entry of PTC could herald a new era of competition to the market, particularly if it is permitted to offer bundles of wireless and wireline services.

Poland, T-Mobile Poland