Anatel to try and curb powers of dominant providers

31 Aug 2006

According to a report in local publication O Estado de S Paulo and quoted by BNamericas, Brazil’s fixed line telephony market remains dominated by three operators. Telefónica, Telemar and Brasil Telecom account for 93% of the domestic market, leaving only 7% to the ‘mirror’ companies created in 2000 in an attempt to boost competition. Anatel is reportedly considering measures to toughen up legislation for traditional phone carriers and allow newcomers to thrive.