Endesa exits Auna

3 Jan 2006

Spanish electricity company Endesa has sold its final 5% holding in Spanish telecoms group Auna to Deutsche Bank for EUR377.9 million (USD448.4 million). The German bank is acting as an assignee for France Télécom (FT), which will eventually take on the stake. In July 2005 FT agreed to pay Auna shareholders – including Endesa, Santander Central Hispano, Unión Fenosa and ING – EUR6.4 billion for an 80% stake in the company. The European Commission approved the purchase in October and the French company agreed to purchase the remaining 20% of Auna within three years. Endesa will use the proceeds from the sale to try and fend off a hostile takeover of its business by Spanish utility Gas Natural SDG.

Spain, Auna Telecomunicaciones, Orange Group