New study predicts big market share gains for WiMAX

8 Dec 2004

A new report by TelecomView predicts that WiMAX and other new high speed wireless technologies will account for over 40% of the world wireless broadband market by 2009, leaving 3G technologies with less than 60%. TelecomView conclude that WiMAX will pick up 70% of the new high speed wireless market segment by that date due to its higher performance and greater flexibility compared to the alternatives. The report adds that 3G technology will remain ‘important for its mobility, but WiMAX will directly compete with DSL.’