América Móvil to keep Alo PCS?

24 Jun 2004

Mexico’s América Móvil (AM) may be able to keep hold of its 100% stake in Nicaraguan mobile operator Alo PCS, provided that it keeps operations completely separate from those of Nicaraguan fixed line operator Enitel. AM currently owns 49% of Enitel, and is currently looking to purchase the remaining 51%. As a result of this, concerns have been expressed over unfair competition in the Nicaraguan market, but telecoms regulator Telcor said that as long as the two companies are kept separate it does not envisage any problems.