Kai-Uwe Ricke not ruling out acquisitions in eastern Europe

19 May 2004

Deutsche Telekom (DT) chairman Kai-Uwe Ricke has not ruled out the possibility of his company acquiring new assets – especially in eastern Europe – should the opportunity present itself. However, in a meeting with shareholders he stressed that the German telco was ‘not actively looking for acquisitions’. Following the recent EU enlargement, the region is seen as a ‘special focus’ for the German company which already holds 49% of Polish cellco Polska Telefonya Cyfrowa (PTC) and has recently offered to buy the remaining 51%.